Turnip Food Decorations
Appetizers, salads, meat and vegetable dishes can be decorated with chrysanthemums made from turnips. This is a wonderful and very attractive garnish!
1. Clean a white turnip and place it on a cutting board. Put wooden sticks on both sides of the turnip to prevent slicing the turnip completely through.
2. Use a very sharp knife with a thin blade. Cut turnip into thin slices to the level of the sticks.
3. Turn turnip 90 degrees and slice it again to the level of sticks. Sticks should remain in the same position. Be careful and make sure that the knife cuts vertically and not at an angle!
4. Dip the turnip in salted water to soften it (1tb. spoon of salt in 2 cups of water). Rinse the turnip in clean water.
5. To give the chrysanthemum color, dip it in boiling water with dye for 30 sec. It can also be dipped in cold water with dye, until it reaches the desired color.
6. Here is a chrysanthemum, painted with turmeric (curcumin).
7. Here is a chrysanthemum, colored with Hibiscus tea.
8. Here is a chrysanthemum, tinted with beet.
9. If the flower is too big, you can easily reduce it by simply cutting off the bottom, into the desired size circumferentially.
This beautiful vegetable garnish can be used to decorate salads, meat, vegetable and fish dishes.
1. Choose correct turnips that are round in form and without dents. Wash and peel the turnip. Cut in half lengthwise.
2. Lay the cut side down and with a sharp knife cut the turnip into thin slices. Slices should be very thin. To make slices (future rose petals) more pliable, boil them in clean water for 10 sec, or soak them in a bowl of salt water for 10 min. Rinse with cold water.
3. Take one small slice and roll it up. This will be the central part of the rose.
4. Place this bud skin side down. Place the remaining slices, skin down, overlapping around the central bud. See photo.
5. Using a spatula or knife with a wide blade, lift and lay the rose on a plate. Arrange with sprigs of greens.
6 By coloring petals with different natural dyes, you will get beautiful and exquisite food decorations.
These rose petals were painted with turmeric.
These rose petals were tinted with parsley juice.
These rose petals were tinted with carrot juice.
Combining different colored roses, you will get wonderful bouquets for your plates. They will provide charming decorations on your table!