Tomato Food Decorations
Tomato roses are an amazing food decoration for appetizers, salads, fish and vegetable dishes.
1. Select firm and ripe tomatoes. Using a small knife, start from the top of the tomato (non stalk) and slice a continuous, circular and thin strip of skin around the tomato.
2. Try to make the strip even in thickness. When done, you will have a spiral tomato strip.
3. Unroll the strip of tomato skin in a flat spiral and with the flesh down on your work surface. Use the stem end of the strip to form the center of the rose, and carefully roll up the tomato skin. See photo.
4. Use the beginning of the strip as the basis for the rose.
5. Using a spatula or knife with a wide blade, turn the rose over. Arrange the rose with greens.
You will have a charming food decoration and garnish for many dishes.
Tomato sunflowers are beautiful food decorations. Use them as a garnish for cold meats, salads, pates and especially for oriental dishes.
1. To make this attractive garnish, select firm and ripe tomatoes. Without cutting into the tomato, score the skin into quarters from the top to two-thirds down.
2. Repeat the process, dividing each quarter in half. You will get 8 equal parts - "petals".
3. Using a sharp paring knife, peel back each "petal".
4. Carefully cut between the tomato skin and the flesh to about half the height of the tomato.
5. Arrange the middle of the flower with chopped greens or onions. Be creative and use your own ideas. This wonderful garnish will be very noticeable on your table.