Onion Water Lilies
Onion water lilies are a great garnish and a very beautiful food decoration. They are most appropriate for oriental dishes.
1. Choose a medium size onion, wash and rinse. Make circular jagged incisions around the middle of the onion. Try to cut deep to the center of the onion.
2. Carefully separate the two halves from each other, pulling them apart.
3. Carefully disassemble the onion layers one from another.
4. To make the garnish more attractive, you can combine two or more layers of the onion.
5. Decorate the middle of onion.
Demonstrate your own imagination and create your unique decoration.
To enhance the beauty of the garnish, the onion flowers can be painted with natural dyes. The photo shows the onion lilies painted with a beet broth.
You can combine painted and unpainted onion layers to get a pleasing contrast for your table decoration.
The same technic as onion flowers above, only petals are rounded. Painted in turmeric.
The same technic as onion flowers, only petals are more pointed. Painted with carrot juice.
Onion Food Decorations
Onion lotuses are a great garnish and make beautiful food decorations. They are most appropriate for oriental dishes.
1. Choose a medium size onion. Clean it and make shallow cuts around the circumference of the onion. See photo. The incisions have to be above the middle of onion, closer to the top.
2. Remove the top part of the pre-cut part of the onion as shown on the photo.
3. Using a small knife, cut deeper layers in the onion as shown on photo. Then make cuts on the surface of the onion to get future " lotus petals."
4. To tint the petals, dip the onion in a staining solution.To make food decoration more interesting, tint the onion partially rather than fully. See photo. Stick the onion on a wooden stick or knitting needle and dip it partually in a natural food paint solution.
5. Here the onion lotus is tinted with turmeric.
6. Here the onion lotus is tinted with Hibiscus tea.
7. By varying the height and width of petals and the intensity of the dye, you can get varried and beautiful decorations for your table.
Onion asters are a great garnish and make beautiful food decorations. They are most appropriate for oriental dishes.
1. To make this vegetable decoration, you need to use an onion slicer. Choose a medium size onion. Cut the top of onion of as shown.
2. Put the onion slicer on the top of onion and press down through the end.
3. Remove the core of onion. You can also remove outer excessive patels to make your food decoration smaller.
4. To tint the petals, dip the onion in a staining solution. Decorate the center of onion flower with contrasting color pieces of other vegetables.
5. By varying the height of the onion and the color of staining solution, you can get varried and beautiful decorations for your table.